Impulse Buy: Coconut Butter
Store: Whole Foods
Aisle: Miscellaneous healthy/organic foods
Like many nut butters, coconut butter is a little hard to find, a little expensive, and very, very delicious. I bought this lil’ jar not too long ago at a rare visit to Whole Foods, where I usually don’t allow myself to go because I invariably end up leaving with something that was decidedly not on my grocery list (case in point). The good news is, this creamy spread will last a long time in your pantry, and I have found it has a variety of uses.
**How to Get Through a Jar of Coconut Butter**
1. Eat it standing up in your kitchen with a spoon, while you think about what you want for dinner.
2. Make this vegan freezer fudge.
3. Soften it a bit by submerging the jar in hot water and drizzle it over fruit or chocolate.
4. Mix it with a bit of water and use in a thai curry in place of coconut milk.
5. Use it in place of butter on your french toast for a flavorful twist!
Lily Bellow graduated in 2009 from Harvard University with a degree in English Literature. While in college, she bartended and cooked at the campus pub, and as a result has a difficult time eating chicken wings. She is the Managing Editor for Small Kitchen College.