Have you ever planned a party and then realized, “Oops, I don’t have any mixers”?
They’re quite easy to forget especially if you’ve been cooking or decorating your dorm room all evening. And then there’s always the option of “I’ll just get it later.” Mixers are not like alcohol in that you need to go out and get them early. You can get mixers anywhere, anytime from the local grocery store, the mini mart around the corner, or even your dining hall. That makes em easier to forget.
The best idea, we think, is actually to keep a few mixers on hand. Here’s what to have around.
**The 5 Best Mixers to Have on Hand**
1. Sweet and Sour Mix. This easy-to-use mixer is great with amaretto or whisky, and you don’t need anything else to make Wild Turkey palatable.
2. Red Bull. You can never go wrong with having Red Bull at a college party. Hello, Red Bull & vodka?
3. Fruit juice. It never hurts to have a few fruit juices chilling in your fridge. Whether it is apple, orange, or cranberry, these are a great party favorite to make a simple cocktail. Trying using cranberry juice to make this amazing cranberry ginger fizz. Another classy fruit juice substitution is sparkling apple cider. Just splash in some spiced rum for a fall/winter feeling.
4. Soda. If all else fails, you know that you can always turn to Coke and Sprite. Rum & Coke is the party savior. And to kick it up a notch, try Sprite with Pimm’s (mix in a 2:1 proportion).
5. Milk. Most kids have milk in their fridge anyway, so why not make a good use out of it and turn it into an amazing mixer? You can dash a tablespoon or two of Kahlua into a glass of milk and top it off with some ice cubes to make a baby version of a White Russian. Or, try a fancier cocktail and make Pumpkin Latte.
Julie Sophonpanich is a senior at Brown University where she is studying History of Art and Architecture. She loves to host dinner parties with fantastical cocktails.