Sexy Food: Top 5 Aphrodisiacs

To be honest, I have the mind of a 13 year-old boy. I am immature, inappropriate, and generally thinking about sex. Gettin’ naked has innumerable benefits: it’s fun, it relieves stress, and it’s necessary to continue the human race. It even burns calories! Who doesn’t enjoy making whoopee?

Most of us are young folks with raging hormones, but sometimes even we could use a sexy boost. Aphrodisiacs are foods that help to evoke sexual desire. They are named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and sexuality. They have been used since the time of ancient Romans, who were known to enjoy hyena eyeballs and hippo snouts for their bedroom benefits. Traditional Chinese medicine used to recommend consuming the horn of a rhino!

Aphrodisiacs can serve a psychological or biological purpose to excite the senses and stimulate your nether regions. For example, the Aztecs viewed the avocado as an aphrodisiac because the fruit hangs in pairs on a tree and resembles the male body. Certain spices are thought to be sexy, simply because they bring heat to the body and increase blood flow. Nearly any food could be considered an aphrodisiac, but here are my top picks to rev your engines.

Top 5 Sexy Foods

1. Oysters Everyone knows that this goopy mollusk makes you horny! They were first declared aphrodisiacs by the ancient Romans, who apparently saw a correlation between oysters and immoral behavior in women. More scientifically, oysters are high in zinc which is thought to increase sperm count. They are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids to improve nervous system function. Finally, oysters are thought to be feminine in shape and could therefore evoke some naughty thoughts.

2. Garlic Garlic breath might not be a turn-on, but this plant is known to be quite sexy. It is chock full of allicin, which helps to increase blood flow to sensitive areas of the body. The rich aroma of sauteed garlic also excites the senses. Plus, garlicky Italian food is often very romantic when eaten with a partner, à la “Lady and the Tramp.” And if everyone has funky breath, then who can be offended?

3. Coffee The caffeine in coffee is known to stimulate the body, and the kick might just leave you feeling aroused instead of jittery. Plus, studies have shown that women who regularly drink fully-caffeinated coffee have a 20 percent lower risk of depression than nondrinkers. If you’re happy, chances are your sex life will be, too.

4.Healthy Fats Anything that is good for your heart is good for the rest of you. Saturated fats are bad for your reproductive system because they can clog arteries and prevent adequate blood flow to the sex organs. In fact, a heart attack is one of the first signs of erectile dysfunction! Too little fat, however, prevents your body from producing important hormones like testosterone and estrogen. Enjoy olive oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados to ensure that your body has the right ingredients to get horizontal.

5. Chocolate Finally, my favorite aphrodisiac! The Aztecs were the first to link the cacao bean to sexual desire. The emperor Montezuma was known to consume the bean in large amounts to fuel his sexcapades. Scientists are still unsure if the correlation can be proven, but the serotonin and anandamide in chocolate are known to contribute to feelings of happiness and euphoria, similar to being in love. If nothing else, eat chocolate to feel happy, decadent, and sexy.

Perhaps the best aphrodisiac of all isn’t what you put into your body, but what you don’t. Avoid too much refined sugar, saturated fat, and animal products. A healthy diet promotes well-being so that your body can function in tip-top shape in all departments! Exercise is also important for a hearty rush of feel-good endorphins. Perhaps try a cleanse to set your body back on track. Seek regular relaxation and think positively. Self-esteem is the best aphrodisiac of all.

Suzannah Schneider spends 75% of her time thinking about food, and the other 25% thinking about naughty things. She is studying in Copenhagen, Denmark this semester and hopes to be whisked off her feet by a strapping young Scandinavian.

Originally posted on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

Leave a Reply