Confession time: I reallly wanted to title this article “How To: Be a California Girl” à la Katy Perry. You know since we are unforgettable, undeniable and apparently tend to be sippin’ on gin and juice quite often. Oh Katy, how’d you know?
Anyways, over here on the West Coast, it is officially summer weather. Although instead of gin and juice, it’s more like guzzling margaritas and I’m not so sure that I’m melting any popsicles. But, I digress.
I don’t know about you all, but by the time I finish my last quarter, I’m so ready for the summer I may or may not start to wear a bikini underneath my clothes so that I can get in as much beach time as possible. But factor in diet, hair, and ketchup stains on clothes, and the summer can seem full up unexpected trip-ups. Don’t worry! Here are some tips and tricks on how to really enjoy and get the most out of your summer, whether you are near a beach, pool, lake, or river!
**Tips and Tricks**
1. H2O This one might seem obvious, but you would be surprised how often water gets neglected. Make sure you always have a bottle on you, so that at the end of the day you don’t feel wiped out and your skin stays glowy and fresh! If you aren’t a fan of plain water, add some refreshing cucumber slices, orange slices or some berries. Hey, just because I’m a cheap college student, doesn’t mean I can’t get fancy on my water…
2. SPF Lip balm Just like it is important to protect your skin, it is important to be putting on some SPF on those smackers. Also, with the heat, it’s easy for your lips to get dried out. Purchase a lip balm that has some SPF and will keep your lips soft and protected!
3. Exfoliate Whether you’re hitting the beach or just gardening outside (I don’t know why I chose gardening as an example, seeing as how my own yard is a patch of grass), your skin can get dry, especially if you are getting burnt at all. It’s incredibly easy to make your own exfoliator. Just mix equal parts coconut oil/olive oil and brown sugar/white sugar. If your skin is on the oilier side, you can also use plain baking soda to remove dirt and grime.
4a. Make Some Fun Drinkage! Sometimes there’s nothing better than a beer to quench your thirst, but if you’ve got some extra time, make a fun summer cocktail like the Southern Belle or go all out and make some crazyawesome slushy drinks!
4b. Make a Healthy Cocktail! If you are wanting to avoid the unfortunate bloat that can sometimes accompany alcohol or are wanting to stay trim for summer, avoid sugar in your cocktails and make a healthier version. Instead of soda, use club soda and instead of simple syrup, use juice.
5. Protect Your Hair I definitely used to be that kid who lived at the pool and therefore had super cute green hair that was dry and brittle. So especially for all you blondies out there, make sure to protect your hair. If you’re hitting the pool, wet your hair before you go swimming because then plain water saturates the hair follicles, rather than the pool’s chemicals, which can get into your roots otherwise. Also, if your hair is feeling a little on the dry side, put some coconut oil on it, it works as a styler as well.
6. Dress Smart I’m a HUGE fan of le barbecue. This can result in mass quantities of ribs, watermelon, steak, cornbread, fruit cobblers and lemonade being eaten in one sitting. This does not always look so adorbs in a bikini. But with the maxi dress now in fashion, it’s a simple garment to stuff in your bag and have ready to wear. The maxi dress looks slimming, has fun patterns and can hide that barbecue bloat.
7. Summer Goals It can be really great to try new things, adventure and explore during the summer. Set a summer goal, like trying surfing, chatting up the cute lifeguard (‘sup cutie?), hiking, getting a great internship, etc.
8. Relax and Enjoy! Last summer I had an internship, which was absolutely wonderful, but kept me inside for the majority of the week. It was easy for me to get caught up and forget to enjoy the beautiful weather outside. I made it a priority to take my lunch outside and enjoy it, while getting my dose of Vitamin C. Or I would take a walk outside to get coffee or tea, just to get outside and stretch my legs. Don’t forget to take care of yourself!
From Katy and me, enjoy your summer and live it up Cali style!
Kelsey Krasnigor is a Caligirl and counting down the days (20 to be exact) till she can enjoy the summer and get some serious use out of her blender.